White(redirected from white wine)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Idioms, Wikipedia.
1. having no hue due to the reflection of all or almost all incident light
2. (of light, such as sunlight) consisting of all the colours of the spectrum or produced by certain mixtures of three additive primary colours, such as red, green, and blue
3. comparatively white or whitish-grey in colour or having parts of this colour
4. (of an animal) having pale-coloured or white skin, fur, or feathers
5. bloodless or pale, as from pain, emotion, etc.
6. colourless or transparent
7. counterrevolutionary, very conservative, or royalist
8. (of wine) made from pale grapes or from black grapes separated from their skins
9. Physics having or characterized by a continuous distribution of energy, wavelength, or frequency
10. a white colour
11. the condition or quality of being white; whiteness
12. the white or lightly coloured part or area of something
13. the viscous fluid that surrounds the yolk of a bird's egg, esp a hen's egg; albumen
14. Anatomy the white part (sclera) of the eyeball
15. any of various butterflies of the family Pieridae
16. Chess draughts
a. a white or light-coloured piece or square
b. the player playing with such pieces
17. anything that has or is characterized by a white colour, such as a white paint or pigment, a white cloth, a white ball in billiards
a. the outer ring of the target, having the lowest score
b. a shot or arrow hitting this ring
19. Poetic fairness of complexion
20. in the white (of wood or furniture) left unpainted or unvarnished
1. Gilbert. 1720--93, English clergyman and naturalist, noted for his Natural History and Antiquities of Selborne (1789)
2. Jimmy. born 1962, British snooker player
3. Marco Pierre. born 1961, British chef and restaurateur
4. Patrick (Victor Martindale). 1912--90, Australian novelist: his works include Voss (1957), The Eye of the Storm (1973), and A Fringe of Leaves (1976): Nobel prize for literature 1973
5. T(erence) H(anbury). 1906--64, British novelist: author of the Arthurian sequence The Once and Future King (1939--58)
6. Willard (Wentworth) . born 1946, British operatic bass, born in Jamaica
1. a member of the Caucasoid race
2. a person of European ancestry
3. denoting or relating to a White or Whites
Collins Discovery Encyclopedia, 1st edition © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
What does it mean when you dream about the color white?
In Western culture, white is commonly used to represent cleanliness, purity, and dignity; in Eastern traditions white is associated with mourning and death.
The Dream Encyclopedia, Second Edition © 2009 Visible Ink Press®. All rights reserved.
symbol of virginity; in American flag, purity. [Color Symbolism: Leach, 242]
Allusions—Cultural, Literary, Biblical, and Historical: A Thematic Dictionary. Copyright 2008 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.