Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Idioms, Wikipedia.
zombie(both: zŏm`bē), in voodoovoodoo
[from the god Vodun], native W African religious beliefs and practices that also has adherents in the New World. Voodoo believers are most numerous in Haiti, where voodoo was granted official religious status in 2003, and in Benin, where the religion has had official
..... Click the link for more information. , a person believed to have been raised from the grave by a houngan [sorcerer] for purposes of enslavement. The zombi is used by its master to perform heavy manual labor and to implement evil schemes.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia™ Copyright © 2013, Columbia University Press. Licensed from Columbia University Press. All rights reserved. www.cc.columbia.edu/cu/cup/
1. a supernatural spirit that reanimates a dead body
2. a corpse brought to life in this manner
3. the snake god of voodoo cults in the West Indies, esp Haiti, and in scattered areas of the southern US
4. the python god revered in parts of West Africa
5. a piece of computer code that instructs an infected computer to send a virus on to other computer systems
Collins Discovery Encyclopedia, 1st edition © HarperCollins Publishers 2005